Wednesday 2 November 2011

Pancetta & Ricotta Cups - a la Donna Hay

Although I don't eat red (or pink!) meat, this recipe has become my go to canape for adults and kids alike.  I've been making these for years and have recently brought them out again for my baby's 1st birthday party (as seen here) and my 3 year old's birthday party.  The kids and adults devoured them, so I'm guessing they are tasty!!!  The best thing I've discovered recently about these is that they can be frozen and reheat perfectly. I wasn't sure they would with the ricotta in them, but they were excellent.  This meant I could make them a couple of weeks ahead and leave the day before the party to make cakes and other fresh food.

I got the original recipe from Donna Hay Magazine - Issue 24 Nov/Dec 2005.  I have made small modifications, so I'll outline how I did it below:

Baked Pancetta and Ricotta Cups

Ingredients:

  • 12 slices of pancetta, halved
  • 250 grams of fresh ricotta (from the deli so it's not the watery variety - if you can only get it in a tub, then drain out the water before using it)
  • 100 grams of soft, smooth feta
  • 1/4 cup of finely chopped fresh chives
  • 1 lightly beaten egg
Method:
  • Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius
  • Press the halved pieces of pancetta in to a lightly greased 24 hole mini muffin tray

  • In a large bowl, mix together the cheeses, chives, egg and some freshly ground pepper

  • Spoon the cheese mixture into the pancetta cases

  • Cook for 10-12 minutes until pancetta is crisp and cheese is set

  • Serve warm
  • Optional: top with halved slow roasted balsamic cherry tomatoes (this version is more for the grown ups!)
  • If freezing, do so in a single, spaced out layer and without the tomatoes




Enjoy!

Love Amy xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, these look so yummy! My belly is rumbling now haha.

    ReplyDelete